Agriculture, Aquaculture & Food Processing
Muncie-Delaware County has the resources necessary to support growth in the food processing sector. The community has more than eight million gallons of excess water and sewer capacity with hundreds of acres of land zoned for development. Excellent access to highways, airports, rail, raw materials, skilled employees, and educational resources make our community a superior choice.
Meridian Foods, located 12 miles north of Muncie in Eaton, produces canned beans.
Bell Aquaculture, located 10 miles north of Muncie in Albany, recently had a Tax Increment Finance district approved by the Delaware County Redevelopment Commission in anticipation of a $90 million expansion. Bell is a unique business as the nation’s largest yellow perch farm and a state-of-the-art aquaculture facility.
Muncie-Delaware County Indiana combines traditional production with progressive technology to create an attractive environment for manufacturers. The state’s central location and excellent transportation network – combined with a skilled and dedicated workforce – solidifies Indiana’s position as a worldwide manufacturing leader.
Competitive advantages for advanced food processing manufacturers include:
- An industrial electricity rate that is one of the lowest in the United States
- Millions of gallons of excess capacity in the existing water and sewer system
- Fully-serviced sites with rail in the Industria Centre Industrial Park
- Four-lane access to both Interstate 69 and Interstate 70
- A recently zoned 800-acre site designed to attract new businesses in the agricultural industry – Ag BioVision Industrial Park – is ready for development
- A low-cost, pro-business environment and a highly skilled, educated and capable workforce
- Workers’ compensation and unemployment insurance rates that are among the lowest in the country
- Strong collaborative ties between universities, businesses and public sector, which helps make us a cradle for innovative companies
- A wide range of incentives and grants to qualified projects.