Logistics and Distribution
Muncie-Delaware County Indiana’s advanced logistics industry offers a competitive advantage to both manufacturers and distributors.
Indiana ranks in the top 10 in 100 significant logistics-related categoriesand in the top five for 27 of those. Each year more than 1.5 billion tons of freight travel through Indiana.
Indiana ranks first in pass-through interstates. It is home to the second-argest FedEx air hub worldwide and third in total freight railroads. With three maritime ports that together rank seventh in waterborne shipping, Indiana provides the only statewide port system with direct waterway access to two U.S. coasts.
Muncie-Delaware County Indiana’s competitive advantages for logistics companies include:
- A central location within a day’s drive of 80 percent of the United State’s population
- More than 11,000 total highway miles and is intersected by eight interstate highways – more than any other state in the nation.
- Four-lane access to both Interstate 69 (north-south) and Interstate 70 (east-west)
- Two active railroad companies service the county and numerous sites in the Industrial Park
- Three international airports – in Indianapolis, Fort Wayne and Dayton, Ohio are in close proximity. Indianapolis (68 miles), Fort Wayne (75), Dayton (82 miles)
- Two fully-serviced industrial parks including land adjacent to Interstate 69 (Park One Business Park)
Indiana is investing billions of dollars in infrastructure improvement, including:
- Indiana is investing $3,887,125,877 on 2,176 road and bridge preservation projects, major new construction projects, and local projects in the state.
- Upgrades to major highways, including U.S. 31, I-465, I-69, I-80/90 and others.
- Construction of I-69, the NAFTA superhighway, through southwest Indiana.
Commercial Driver’s Licenses
Indiana Department of Workforce Development
Indiana Department of Revenue
Indiana Department of Environmental Management
Indiana Department of Transportation
Indiana Department of Motor Vehicles
Indiana Economic Development Corporation – Life Sciences Initiative
Ports of Indiana
U.S. Department of Transportation
University Technical Assistance Programs
Indiana Motor Truck Association
American Production and Inventory Control Society
Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals
Central Indiana Corporate Partnership
Indiana Supplier INsight