International Trade Assistance
Sister City Relationships
The Sister City movement in the United States commenced around 1956 in an effort to promote international understanding and friendship. Today, there are hundreds of Sister City agreements between USA communities and cities all over the world.
Muncie, Indiana has five established sister city relationships with:
- Zhuji City, China
- Isparta, Turkey
- Deyang City, China
- Changhua County, Taiwan
- Taraz, Djambul Oblast, Republic of Kazakhstan
The purpose of sister city relationships is to:
- Promote economic development opportunities through foreign direct investment into Muncie and provide opportunities for our existing business to do business with our sister city companies.
- Promote education opportunities and exchanges in the elementary, junior and senior high schools.
- Promote mutual friendship, goodwill, and cultural exchanges between citizens of both cities
- Cultivate better understanding and knowledge between both countries.
If your company has an interest in doing business with one of our sister cities, contact the Economic Development Alliance staff.